Saturday, November 12, 2011

Are you a RUNNER?


Why on earth do you run? Everyone's reason for running may be different. I never have considered myself a "runner" per say. But do I run? Indeed I do. I have several races now under my belt, over 700 miles so far this year. I am not telling you this to brag, but maybe to convince. I have never had the "runner physique" the "athletic ability" or the "love for the run". But things can change.

While pregnant with my second child I began to notice all the people running in and around my neighborhood. Being pregnant is not a great time to begin a new sport, but I remember telling myself, "Someday I WILL RUN"! When Macy was 4 months old I decided it was time. I was working out with a trainer (the best one ever) and running was a goal I vocalized with her. She encouraged me to start. And because she believed in me, I was able to believe in me. I didnt begin running to lose weight, I began to accomplish a goal that seemed unattainable. Fast forward 10 months later, and several 5k and 10k races later....I ran my first Ragnar Race (you will hear more about this later, MUCH more). And when I crossed the finish line I cried. For the first time I actually believed that I was a runner. And I had done something that I thought I would NEVER be able to do.

When people ask if I am a runner, I never really respond that I am. But I know that I could be. Frankly, I am not sure how to answer. I enjoy it (most of the time), I am empowered by it (always), but by a runners definition, I am not amazing at it. I run to clear my mind, to feel good about myself, and to push my own limits physically and mentally. I dont run for anyone else, I run for me!

1 comment:

  1. This is great Evelyn! Seeing your facebook posts really encouraged me to try to work up to running . . . and by the end of the summer I'd run my first 5k. I'm so glad I'll have this blog for encouragement too!

    ReplyDelete