Monday, December 26, 2011

Food Challenge Revisited



Three weeks ago I announced a challenge. A food Challenge. Fifty two ingredients I have never used. One per week. I took right to it, but couldn't follow up because my computer was on the fritz, and then the holiday hit and I just didn't get back to it.

The first ingredient was parsnips. I made a parsnip, potato, carrot mash. It was wonderful. The great thing about parsnips is that they can pretty much take the place of the starchy potato. I cooked it exactly the same that I would a potato. Peeled it, chopped it up, boiled until soft, then mashed it with some garlic, butter, and half and half. Delish.

I know that I used those parsnips a couple of other ways, but I digress. It was 3 weeks ago. Cant remember. I do know that I will be incorporating this spicy little veggie into our dinners more often!

This week, I am going to be cooking with plantains. The plantain is related to the banana family. It is starchy and low in sugar. It is used cooked or baked more often than it is raw. It is referred to as the pasta and/or potato of the Caribbean. Plantains are used more in savory dishes as a vegetable. It is longer and thinner than a banana, with a thicker skin. They are highly nutritious. High in fiber, potassium, vitamin A & C. And, they are a an energy booster because they are high in carbs. I think I will be making plantains chips, plantain mojo (to go with cuban beans), and something else.....so stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment