Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Food Challenge!

Food is a big part of my life. I love to cook it, and I love to eat it! However, I can easily get stuck in a rut making the same foods or using the same familiar ingredients. Over and over again. Its time to mix it all up a bit. So, starting this week I am going to use an ingredient that I have never used before. I am challenging myself to use this ingredient in at least two recipes and then report back. I am hoping by doing this, it will increase my cooking skills, broaden my palette, and I think it will be entertaining! The ingredients will vary, I mean they have to! I have to think of 52 ingredients or foods I have never used! This could get interesting....very interesting! And maybe I should take this a step further and make a rule that it has to be healthy? Now that would benefit the whole family!

What is going to be the first ingredient you ask? I am going to start out easy for the first week, I am thinking parsnips. I recently saw a chef use it on a cooking show, and it peaked my curiosity. It is an ugly root vegetable that doesnt look appetizing whatsoever. The parsnip is related to the carrot, but is supposed to be sweeter and even a little buttery. And the good news, it is good for you! High in potassium, and a great source of fiber! Not sure exactly how I am going to use it yet, but I guess you will just have to check back.


No comments:

Post a Comment